Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fabric Necklace

I kind of like fashion....ok, I ADORE fashion. I love pretty much everything about it. The brands, the advertising, the models, and all the cuteness that can be found in something such as a dumb little purse. There are some that like to say that fashion doesn't matter, that its all just shallow people who only care about brands....which, I guess some people are like that. But its so much more than that. The confidence that a well made dress or a good pair of jeans can bestow on a person is incredible. You can win a job interview or catch a guy's eye, simply because the clothes you are wearing make you feel confident and that confidence radiates. A homeless man, beard and all, could be wearing a well tailored suit and you would think he was worth a million bucks. I love that fashion can do that. I love that it can transform a person.

All that being said, there's nothing better than getting things cheap or on sale! Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the cheap stuff, but the magic is when you get both something that is cheap AND well made. The thrill of it! Its amazing. I think that's why, when I find a craft that shows you a way to MAKE fashion for super cheap AND still be cute; I'm like why the heck not?

I saw a similar version of this necklace in the Spring/Summer line of the Tea catalog. (If you aren't familiar with the brand and you have kids, you should be). I thought, "That is so freaking adorable and I bet I can make that!" I really love that its such a simple necklace that it totally makes sense for a toddler to wear. I mean, they're kids, they can't really wear real jewelery without breaking it or swallowing it. Another thing I like is that it is versatile enough to be a woman's necklace as well. It Summery! And you know I'm excited about Summer, because I talk about it in just about every post. Anyway, here it is.

You will need:
A very long strip of fabric (I kept having to add to it, but I think I ended up with about 80X4.5 inches)
Wooden beads or wooden balls
Scissors
(And you definitely don't need the fabric glue that's pictured. I wasn't sure if I would or not, but the knots keep it all very tight, they won't go anywhere)
A sewing machine or needle and thread

I've had these old pajama pants sitting in my sewing box forever...waiting for a craft!

Watch for the leftovers in a future craft!
 1. Cut a very long strip. Approximately 80X4.5 inches. It seems long, but the knots take up a lot of fabric.
 2. Fold in half lengthwise and sew along the long side to close it, with about a 1/2 inch inseam (remember ugly sides out) keeping both ends of the strip open, then flip it right side out (It takes awhile).


It should be about 1.5 inch to 2 inches wide when the sides are closed. Just enough to fit the beads in.

3. Then place a bead in the strip and bring it to the middle. Make a simple knot on either side of the bead. Then alternate bead, knot, bead, knot, until you get it as long as you want it to be. Make sure to leave enough room on both ends so that you can still tie it around your neck.


This is about how much I left that the ends of mine. But you could leave more. Mine ties in a knot, but if it was longer it could be tied in a bow.


4. Sew the ends closed. I did mine diagonally for a little interest, but you could sew it straight across. 



Finished product.

Here's what it looks like on an adult. ME!

And here's what it looks like on a much smaller, cuter model. Princess!

Adorbs!
Then that's it. You have a cute (and cheap) necklace that can make any t-shirt and jeans combo just a little bit better. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. How adorable brookie! I liked those pjs of your too, reminds me of collage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I have those in college? That's awesome. I'm turning them into jammy shorts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should! And let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete